Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Oodles of Zoodles!

So, after talking for MONTHS with my friend Michele about Zoodles, and Vegetti, I caved and purchased one. They had the Vegetti spiralizer at Marshalls for $7.99! Score.

Well, I intended on embarking on a Whole30 this week, after Labor Day ended. Then, when Mike saw I brought home a Vegetti, and was talking about making Zoodles, he went on a rant about how people should just "eat the food we're meant to eat", and how he didn't like it when foods are presented as food that they're not. Translated: he doesn't want to eat a f*ing zoodle. It's not a secret he hates veggies, but simply not eating so much hasn't resulted in any weight loss for me. I'm not a picky eater, and I love veggies, so simply eating more veggies/better food would probably be beneficial to me, but I don't enjoy preparing food that he hates or will bitch about eating.

So, my fix was to make a zoodle salad for at work! and he won't have to eat it! This way, I can eat healthy while at work, and then eat delicious/less healthy at home for dinner. Seems like a good compromise. And that's what marriage is all about (she says after it took her 6 years to figure out).

I made a variation on this recipe, from www.tasteandsee.com: http://tasteandsee.com/chicken-satay-zoodle-salad-recipe/
These are the changes I made:
- Instead of doing tenderloin strips, I had full chicken breasts, so I chopped them into bite size pieces, marinated per the recipe, and sautéed. Also, after it cooled, I tossed the bite-sized chicken bits in with the rest of the salad.
- I did half the dressing recipe, and of that half, I only used half of *it* in the salad. I put the rest in a small container and took it with me for lunch. The salad actually turned kind of "runny" before I got it to work at lunch, so I drained off the watery stuff, and then put about a tablespoon of the additional dressing on top. Mucho bueno.
- I zoodled BOTH the zucchini and the cucumber! One can't have to many noodle-shaped items, after all.
- I also omitted these items: bell pepper, snap peas, jalapeño, green onions, and cilantro. I didn't have all these items, except cilantro, but knowing that I intended on stretching this salad all week, I know the cilantro would have a tendency to wilt, and become off-flavored, so I left it out.

I actually make Mike taste it, and he liked it! Not enough to eat, say, a full portion, but he did eat some, and didn't make gagging noises, so all in all it's a win.

Mostly, I typed this blog so I can make it again.

We both agreed that we should zoodle a sweet potato and make fries. Cuz, yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment