Monday, September 19, 2016

Crock Pot Monday - Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Chick Pea Curry

My co-worker and friend, Fast Eddie, was telling me last week about his wife's DELICIOUS white chicken chili. I've never made white chicken chili, but until right now, I forgot that it was going to be my crock pot Monday meal this week...

So alas, I will have to save it for NEXT Monday, as I have the pot going today with curry. The autumn hasn't QUITE set in here in Georgia, but after reading a delicious-sounding recipe in a Clean Eating FB group I'm in, I decided Chicken Curry would be our Crock meal this week.

I did a hybrid of two recipes I found online:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-curry-with-coconut-milk-43-pts/
http://www.5dollardinners.com/31-days-of-slow-cooker-meals-sweet-potato-chicken-curry/

Also, I'm not positive how the servings will work out for this, but I hope to have either 2 servings for leftovers, or leftovers and a freezer meal. I'll update after we've eaten to reflect the servings.

**NOTE on Garam Masala - You can purchase it already mixed, or you can make your own at home! It's a spice blend, and uses spices you most likely already have in your pantry. Recipe here.


**UPDATED! I found the original recipe a bit bland, so I made some adjustments. Also, the recipe easily serves 8. We each had a serving last night, packed two leftovers, and have 4 servings leftover, which I put in the freezer for future yumyums!


Amber's Crock Pot Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Chick Pea Curry

1/2 Large Onion, diced
1 TBSP Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Cumin
1Tbsp Garam Masala
1/4 Cup Curry (adjust to your liking)
4 Chicken Thighs, Boneless & Skinless (you could also sub breasts. Use about 1.5 #)
1 Can Chick Peas (15.5 oz)
3 Small Tomatoes, diced
3 Medium Sweet Potatoes, diced
2 Cups Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 Tsp Salt

1) In a small skillet sprayed with cooking spray, over Medium Heat, sauté the Onions and Garlic for about 1 minute, until they become fragrant. Add spices, and stir for one more minute. Add 1/2 cup coconut milk, and scrape the bottom of the pan, releasing any cooked-on spices, and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
2) Spray the inside of your crock pot with cooking spray (you can skip this if you use those liners).
3) Add diced tomatoes, and sweet potatoes to the bottom of the crock pot. Top with the Onion/Spice Mixture. Add can of Chick Peas, and remaining coconut milk.
4) Add chicken thighs to the mixture, and mix, so they get covered in the sauce/milk and spices.
5) Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours (ours usually goes about 10, just due to how long we are away from the house).
6) About 30 minutes before eating, add the yogurt, and taste, adjusting spices as needed (I found it bland and had to add salt and more curry!)
7) After the full crock time, if you find the sauce too thin, remove the lid, increase to high, and allow it to simmer for 30-60 minutes, or until the sauce is the consistency you're looking for.
8) Serve over Jasmine or white rice, or for a healthier option, brown rice.

I usually shred the chicken in the sauce, but you could also remove the thighs and cut them up and put them back in, if you prefer.

1 comment:

  1. Yum Yum!! And this "Fast Eddie" friend of yours sounds JUST as delicious. lol

    ReplyDelete